Raise your hand if you’re excited for summer! Me too. We all want our homes looking their best through out the year, but especially in warmer months for summer get togethers. Whether you’re thinking about selling your home or just want to spruce up the curb appeal, here are some helpful tips to make you the envy of your neighbors.
1. Punch Up Your Curb Appeal
- Remove all branches and twigs that may have fallen during storms.
- Get rid of any remaining leaves on the ground.
- Clean out the gutters.
- Trim the bushes and replace any that did not make it through the colder months.
- Sod or seed dead grass.
- Plant colorful flowers in your yard and place some in pretty containers on either side of your front door. Add some window boxes if you can. Pro Tip: When selling your home, add yellow flowers. This color has proven to be appealing to buyers.
2. Create a Welcoming Front Door
- Give your front door a new coat of paint and sealer. Pro Tip: Your front door should convey the impression that your home is well maintained.
- Replace the door knocker and door handle if they look shabby and worn.
- Make sure your doorbell is in working order.
3. Give The Exterior A Facelift
- Make sure that any holes are patched, fix any loose siding, shutters or shingles and replace missing trim.
- Paint the exterior of your home so that it looks well cared for.
- Don’t forget to paint the shutters!
4. Clean Out The Garage
- Get rid of old items that you don’t use or need.
- Add hooks to hang bikes and other large items on the wall to free up floor space.
- Install shelving to store smaller items.
- Repaint or reseal the garage floor.
5. Lighten Up
- Install strategic lighting to create a lovely ambiance for the outside of your home.
- Install motion lights for added security.
- Replace any burned-out light bulbs outdoors for safety.
- Connect the inside of your home to the outdoors with a porch, deck or patio.
- Create an outdoor entertaining space by installing a kitchen, fireplace or lounging area.
- Install a pool or sport court to keep your family in shape and having fun all summer
7. Bring The Garden Indoors
- Cut colorful flowers and put them in vases around your home to make it cheery and bright.
- Add some natural aesthetic by placing potted plants in beautiful containers in your living space.
8. Freshen Up Your Walls
- Choose a room or two in your home and repaint them with a vibrant, cheery color. It’s easy to make a space feel fresh with a new coat of paint. Pro Tip: Painting is the least expensive update that adds the most value to your home.
- Switch out your throw pillows and blankets with lighter colored fabrics and fun patterns in your living room for the spring and summer.
- Add colorful accessories through out your home for an easy seasonal update.
- Buy a new bed linens to change the look of your bedroom in the warmer months.
10. Let The Sun Shine In
- Clean the windows – inside and out.
- Replace heavy drapes with plantation shutters or cordless blinds.
11. De-clutter and Reorganize
- Empty your kitchen cabinets and get rid of any items or small appliances that you just don’t use or need.
- Go through your closets and purge any items that you don’t need and donate them.
12. Be Safe; Not Sorry
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make sure you have flashlights with new batteries in strategic places around your home in case of a power outage during a summer storm.
- Swap out an old fire extinguisher in your kitchen with a new one.
- Replace any burned-out light bulbs inside your home.
13. Be Energy Efficient
- Clean or replace dirty air filters in your HVAC system. Pro Tip: Write the date on the side of the new filter so you know when it’s time to change it again.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fan blades and clean them off.
- Reseal your windows and doors to keep air conditioning from escaping your home throughout the summer.
No matter what time of year, maintaining your home should be priority #1. After all, your home is your biggest investment!
If you’re thinking about selling your Washington DC metro are home, please give me a call. I’m happy to pop over and give you ideas to help your home stand out from the competition. 703-963-0142.