With the start of the long Labor Day weekend and the unofficial end of summer, fall is right around the corner. Now is the time to start thinking about home maintenance to get your home ready for the cold months ahead. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Schedule your semi-annual HVAC system servicing to make sure the heat will come on when it’s time to close the windows.
- Mulch your garden beds. This will provide an added layer of protection for your plants as winter creeps in.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts keeping them clear of debris.
- Clean out the fireplace. Chances are pretty good that you haven’t used it in a long time, so it’s a good idea to make sure it’s clean, free from cobwebs or birds’ nests that may have been built over the summer.
- Add weather stripping to doors and windows if needed; the time to address a cold draft or air leak is before the bitter cold sets in.
- Walk around the exterior of your home paying close attention to areas that may need to be caulked (places like windows, doors, joints, corners or anywhere something protrudes from the wall/roof). Caulking is best done before the temperatures get too cool.
- Clean and/or store your seasonal furniture.
And, as always, if you or someone you know is thinking of buying or selling a home this fall (or anytime of year) please give me a call at 703-963-0142. I’d love the opportunity to earn your business and your referrals.